The following are common questions patients have about our services as they relate to fertility and prenatal issues.
1. I am new to this and saw your website. I am interested in your fertility options. What do I need to do?
There are a couple of options for you. Firstly, you could book a free consultation for you (and) your partner to attend. This will give you an opportunity to visit the clinic, discuss your situation with the clinic owner/director and see how our services and programs can help you. OR You can jump right in and we can get you booked in for an initial acupuncture session. You can always decide to sign up for a program after you’ve started with treatments.
2. I am coming in from out of town as a patient of the CRFC and will be in Calgary for 2 weeks for the procedure. When should I come in for treatment?
Let’s get you booked in as soon as you arrive to the city for your first acupuncture visit. We will then work with the CRFC schedule to book you in for pre/post retrieval and pre/post transfer appointments. We understand that you won’t know these dates and times until the last minute, which is fine. We are very accommodating and will do our very best to fit you in as close to your fertility appointments as possible.
3. I’ve never tried anything like this before and my FET (transfer) is this week. Someone just suggested acupuncture now. Is it too late to add the treatments and will it be beneficial at this stage?
We do encourage patients to do as much acupuncture as possible leading up to the procedure; however, it doesn’t always work out like that. Anything we do here is going to benefit you so even if you come in and do the pre/post transfer appointments plus the follow up (day 9), you are doing something positive and supportive for your body.
4. After I have my IUI/IVF procedure done, am I finished appointments with your clinic?
Definitely not! We like to book you in for a follow up on approximately day 9 after the procedure. If you end up with a + test, then we like to continue on with you weekly to help maintain the pregnancy and change the protocol to prenatal health. If the test is -, you can discuss with your practitioner what your options are in regards to proceeding forward.
5. Can your clinic help with recurrent miscarriages?
Yes. Treatments can assist in thickening the uterine lining, helping with implantation and in turn optimizing fetal health. Other modalities such as reiki and craniosacral therapy can also help with some of the underlying psychological and body restrictions that you might be carrying due to the recurrent miscarriages.
6. What are your success rates for fertility?
We don’t have any documented stats due to the changing variables in everyone’s case. Factors that affect results are: age, male/female factor, natural or assisted fertility treatments, unknown infertility, etc. There can also be combinations of factors that are involved. It truly is impossible to give percentages.
7. Can you guarantee success?
I wish we could. What we can guarantee is that our team will do their best to get you as healthy as possible. We treat you, not just the problem. If you end up conceiving during the process, that’s great, you’ll be healthy to take on a pregnancy.
8. I am terrified of needles. Are there other options?
Yes. Gina Rino also uses acutonics which is placement of tuning forks on the acupuncture points, instead of needles. You may also want to try massage, reiki or craniosacral treatments as an alternative.
9. I am 36 wks pregnant and heard that acupuncture and massage can help with induction and labour. When can I start?
We can start labour prep any time after 36 wks. Once you reach 39-40 wks the focus can change on actual induction. At this time, acupuncture is recommended 3 days in a row to maximize its effectiveness. Massage and craniosacral are also great treatments at this time too. Some people like to combine treatments in the last couple of weeks.
10. Is massage safe in the 1st trimester?
Yes. We modify treatment during this stage however; it is completely safe to receive massage in those first 12 weeks.
11. How will I be positioned during a massage treatment?
You will have the option to use bolsters which allow you to lie on your tummy or to lie on your side, whichever is more comfortable for you. Positions can change during the treatment to optimize your comfort and we have many options for propping and adjusting the cushions to get you as comfortable as possible.
12. I am 36 wks pregnant and just found out my baby is in breech position. I heard there are techniques to help turn baby.
Yes. Our chiropractor specializes in prenatal care and she uses the Webster Technique to help turn babies. Acupuncture is also quite effective in turning babies as well. Many women choose to combine the two therapies for effectiveness. Our craniosacral therapists also find their treatments as an effective option for getting baby into optimal position.